Modern US Stamp Printers
Have you ever wondered who prints stamps for the United States Postal Service? See below for information on a few of the most recent printers. Currently, stamps are printed by Ashton Potter and Banknote Corporation of America.
- Ashton Potter, established in 1925, began printing stamps for Canada Post in 1970.
- After opening a facility in the United States 20 years later, they secured their first stamp-printing contract with the USPS.
- The Circus stamps of 1993 (#2750–53) were the first US stamps Aston Potter printed.
- Avery Dennison was chosen to produce the first self-adhesive stamp, the 1974 Dove Weather Vane Christmas issue (#1552), which was considered a failure.
- The USPS asked Avery Dennison to try again, and in 1990, the company produced the 25¢ Flag stamp printed on plastic (#2475). This second attempt was more successful.
- Avery Dennison would continue printing self-adhesive stamps for the USPS until it’s stamp-printing division was purchased by CCL Label in 2013.
Banknote Corporation of America:
- In 1989, US Banknote Corporation (USBC) sought to buy American Bank Note Company.
- To avoid anti-trust laws, USBC worked with the French securities printer François-Charles Oberthur Fiduciaire (FCOF) to create Banknote Corporation of America (BCA) to act as competition.
- The first US stamp produced by BCA was the 1994 Heart Rising Love stamp (#2813). Ownership of BCA was transferred from FCOF to Sennett Security Products, which is now owned by CCL Label.
- CCL Label acquired the stamp-printing division of Avery Dennison in 2013
- The first US stamps printed under CCL Label were the five non-denominated pre-sorted standard Snowflakes of 2013 (#4808-12).
- In 2015, CCL Label bought Sennett Security Products, which owns Banknote Corporation of America. New stamps are printed by Banknote.
Sennett Security Products:
- Sennett Security Products (SSP) was formerly known as Stamp Venturers, Inc.
- The first US stamp produced by Stamp Venturers was the 1992 Eagle & Shield stamp with the denomination in red (#2597).
- In 1998, the company changed its name to Sennett Security Products.
- SSP Acquired Banknote Corporation of America before being bought itself by CCL Label in 2015.
US Banknote Company:
- The first US stamp printed by US Banknote Company (USBC) was the 1990 Love stamp (#2440).
- In 1989, after completing a merger with with the American Bank Note Company (ABNCo), all stamp printing was completed though ABNCo.
- In 1995, the company changed its name to American Banknote Corporation.
Want to learn about historic US stamp printers? Click here!